I am living life with 7 street boys (ages 18-22) in Mombasa, Kenya.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Naurobi - a mugging, some crocodile, and Naftali

what a huge roller coaster ride.  it started off not so good, and ended so good.  first off, taking a night bus from mombasa to nairobi isn't the most exciting adventure.  the ride is usually about 7 hours, from about 10:00 pm to about 5:00 am.  and about a quarter of the road is unpaved.  with buses barely passing each other, holding on for dear life, the occasional scent of sweat, it's hard to sleep.  but the day before i leave, i try to get myself pretty sleep deprived, so that i'm pretty tired on the ride.  this trip, we did arrive in nairobi at 5:00 am.  i slept on the bus for an hour, until they told me i had to leave.  so i grabbed by duffel bag and my backpack and headed out towards the buses in town to get to where i was staying.  i was walking for two minutes when i heard the words "mazungu" (meaning white person, although i'm not white...), and next thing i knew, i was being strangled from behind.  i felt a hand shuffling through each pocket, and can't remember what happened next.  i assume i passed out for a few minutes, and when i came to, what had happened seemed like a dream.  i laid on the ground for a few minutes, trying to gather my thoughts and put together the pieces.  i had all my clothes on, i couldn't see a darn thing, and was lying down on my back on concrete.  then i realized that it wasn't a dream, but i was actually just mugged.  i turned on my hands and knees, and searched for my glasses.  luckily i found them, in tact.  as i was searching, a gracious man picked up a pen the thieves left, and handed it to me.  bless him.  i stuck the pen in my pocket, and quickly went back to the bus stage (or station) to hail a taxi to my destination.  God definitely was protecting me.  the muggers took my phone and my duffel bag, containing only clothes and gifts for my Compassion child.  thankfully, my backpack they decided to leave alone, which contained my passport, money, ya know the important stuff.  also they didn't physically try and hurt me, only to restrain me to take my stuff.  which was also another huge blessing, because i'm sure from the arm around my neck that they could have done some serious damage to me.

later that evening, I met up with the two canadians, Jesse and Curtis, and their buddy Kurtis.  we decided to head out to dinner.  i suggested Carnivore, a brazilian steakhouse well known for their exotic meat.  they had been their earlier that week, and suggested another place called Pampa Grill.  i agreed.  turns out, it was another lesser known brazilian steakhouse, cheaper and fancier than Carnivore.  chicken wings, beef hump and ribs, upper and lower beef, pork ribs, pork, lamb leg, fish, turkey.  all delicious meat.  but we were most excited about the two wild game they had their - camel and crocodile!  camel was pretty tender and a bit gamey.  crocodile tasted a lot like fish, just a bit tougher.  it was altogether lovely.  after seriously stuffing our faces until we could handle no more, we decided to go ice skating - i know, who knew they would have ice skating in kenya!  i actually didn't go because i have some pretty bad sores on my feet, but i used my professional photography skills to capture some sweet images.

monday, morning was declared a national holiday in Kenya because of Ramadan just a week prior.  but since i had arranged this date several months in advance, we decided to go for the Compassion visit.  i made it up to the center where Naftali, my kid who's 7, usually comes for his weekly programs on saturday.  there, we were able to meet for the first time.  it was so cool to see him, and then also to meet his younger brother, older sister, and mother.  we were sitting around a table having a nice little chit chat.  they were trying to compare me to the picture i had sent them earlier.  and they said they would not have recognized me walking down the street from the picture.  i like to think i look the same from two years ago.  we headed to their house, to see where they live.  the graciously invited me inside, and we presented each other with gifts - they got me a pretty fetch bracelet.  and i helped them out with some food.  we were able to play some football with his friends outside his house.  together we headed back to the center.  the center provided two baby avacado tress for Naftali and i to plant.  so together we planted them both.  (and each saturday when Naftali comes to the center, it's his responsibility to water them, so hopefully this will be a lasting memory for him.)  and then we had some lunch together, a real treat, with meat and soda.  and then some more time to hang out together playing soccer.  it truly was a blessing for me to be able to meet who i'm supporting, and for his family to meet me.  i definitely enjoyed seeing his family and where he lives, and just spending time with him.  although the language barrier was a pretty big disappointment, we were still able to enjoy each other's company and the international sport of football.

so now i'm back in mombasa, at the daily grind.  jesse and curtis are here with me, and we're all excited to see how God will be able to use this time, and all these people for His glory in the lives of the boys.  i think that satan will try and attack the boys during this time because the presence of God will be so strong in this house.  so please pray for us the next week.  pray that we will be able to stand firm against satan, and to be able to shine light into the lives of the boys.  that we would not go weary during this fight, but yet continue to rely on daily strength from the Lord.

(ps - if you haven't already, check out carly's latest post at http://raphahouseofprayer.blogspot.com)


me, naftali and my bracelet


me and naftali with his family


me and naftali planting our tree

3 comments:

  1. Brandon - you got mugged? That's crazy. What a good reminder for me to be continuously praying for you and everyone else. The Lord was protecting you in a big way.

    Thanks for all the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the fetch shoutout. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandon - we're so glad you're safe. God is with you and watching over you, that is so very obvious! We're praying for you friend!! and the boys too!! Chris and Sally Fortosis

    ReplyDelete